Friday, May 7, 2010

seeking inspiration, wishing to See

Here are my photos from Day 4 of Polaroid Week:

Canon G-III QL

burn like hell {rawr!}

As you can see, I'm a bit low on inspiration these days. I have some ideas that would involve either myself or someone else... but alas, I don't have a timer on the SX70.

When in doubt, photograph one of your vintage cameras. Right. And then throw in a plastic dinosaur (courtesy of Photojojo, actually).

I am pleased with the light and shadows, the focus (on the camera shot), and um, that's it. I need a larger prop to tote around. Like a gnome, maybe? Too kitchy perhaps. I'll think about it. {wait. am i that goofy?}

I have found some polaroid photographers who have seriously impressed me this week. Perhaps made me feel small and crazy for thinking I could take photos at all {i am prone to this sort of behavior/thinking}. I haven't found my niche yet. I'm still learning.

I might add, though, that one of the things I've always found difficult in photography is its tendency toward art and design. I feel that I don't have an "eye" for art or design {or fashion, but that's not what this is about}. Digital photography and photoshop make photography even more about the post-processing "art." How do I learn to do this? I'm not sure what exactly makes a photo wonderful rather than just so-so {although i am usually acutely aware that my photos are in the latter category}.

I love using PX100 and PX600 (and oh, that old Time Zero is what got me wanting to use Polaroid cameras years ago; alas I've never had a pack). I enjoy how those films change reality into something mystical, beautiful, or dreamy, when reality is so mundane. Is it easier to take a photograph when the film does so much work? I find Spectra and 600 film.... less fun. More work.

Photography isn't just about practicing - especially if you aren't sure what others find enticing about photos. Much like many talents - you either have it or you don't. You can certainly learn the technical aspects - but how do you learn to See?

2 comments:

  1. No one knows what makes a photo wonderful, or not... The things that interest me is the building story of other people's lives and interests rather than jaw-dropping one-off photos... But, I might be alone in that.

    Anyway, your photos are ace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you moved yet?

    I think you learn to see by being mindful and vigilant. By forcing yourself to be an artist every waking and sleeping moment.

    ReplyDelete